Did you know all this about ants?
- If crushed, the odorous house ant worker gives off a rotten coconut odor, hence it’s name.
- An ant can lift 20 times its own body weight. If a 175-pound man had the comparative strength of an ant, he could lift four tons.
- African weaver ants can haul prey weighing more than 1,000 times their own weight up trees to their nests mainly through the aid of large adhesive pads on each foot.
- Odorous house ants are common in California north to Washington and are the most common pest ant in the mid-south region of Arkansas and West Tennessee. They may be encountered occasionally throughout the Midwestern United States.
- Fire ants currently infest 14 states in the southern portion of the U.S.